Our Solutions 360 Team is excited to bring to you the 2021 Agronomy Video Series: Seed to Grain. We’ll follow a corn crop from preplant all the way to post-harvest analysis, focusing on key agronomic topics throughout the growing season. It’s our goal to help you better understand the factors that affect your bottom line. Follow us on social media & check back for new videos!
What factors do you consider when purchasing seed? Do you mostly focus on average yield? Or do you like to break down your acres by soil type & health issues to evaluate other traits? Part 1 of our Seed to Grain Series focuses on how to choose the right seed for your acres. Our staff agronomist, Todd Farver, touches on a few key points to consider in the video below. For a more in-depth read, check out our blog post!
- One seed size doesn’t fit all, so choose multiple varieties that are customized to each farm & field.
- Analyze each farm & field to choose traits that address specific issues and will perform best in your soil type(s).
- Plan your nutrients & chemicals to line up with your varieties (and vice versa).
- For fungicide on corn, choose a variety that has a higher response rate for a better return on investment.
- Check how varieties perform against diseases & pests that you have issues with.
- Stagger your maturity & pollination dates to help reduce risk and smooth out logistics during the rest of the growing season.
- Plan variety maturity based on desired harvest moisture content and historical freeze date in your area.
- Look at yield performance across a larger region and multiple years for a truer average.
- Start planning populations before choosing varieties.
- For narrower row spacing (i.e. 20″), make sure to consider standability and leaf angle.