Spice up your menu this holiday season. This Honey Jalapeno Turkey recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser – and you get to spend some time smoking on your Green Mountain Grill!
Need a bigger smoker before the feast? Almost out of pellets? Swing by your nearest Van Wall Equipment location to shop our entire Green Mountain lineup!
4 – 5 Hours
5 – 7 People
- 1 Turkey (12 – 20 Lbs)
- 3 – 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small Red Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 1 Jalapeno, Finely Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Sage
- 3/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Small Granny Smith Apples, Peeled & Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat your grill to 150 degrees. Place your turkey into a metal cooking tray that can hold the juices and place it onto the grill. This will allow a bit of extra smoke flavor to settle in while you prepare the glaze.
- Add olive oil to a medium saucepan and saute the red onion, apples, and jalapeno for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and honey. Cook for about 10 minutes until the apples are soft and the mixture starts to caramelize. Remove the mixture from heat and place into a blender with chopped sage; blend until smooth.
- Take out your turkey and turn your grill up to 450 degrees. Rub olive oil on turkey to cover the entire outside.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper all over the entire turkey. Place turkey back onto the grill and let cook for 45 minutes to an hour (until skin is golden brown).
- Take out your turkey and turn grill down to 225 degrees. Apply the glaze generously on every part of the turkey. Place the turkey back onto the grill and smoke for about 4 – 5 hours, until the thickest part of the breast reaches 155 degrees and the thighs reach 165 degrees.
- Add a second layer of glaze for extra flavor, if desired. Remove turkey and let rest for 30 minutes.